The Diva of DIY

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bedside caddy, still clearing the clutter!

I am on a mission to alleviate some of the clutter in my life! I have put away all of the small appliances that used to sit on my counter, with the exception of my fabulous kitchen aid mixer, which I fully intend to PIMP OUT to the max! (that's a whole nother post!) ... which brings me to my night stand. The reading glasses, the remote, the cell phone, with it's charger...more clutter! So I decided to gather up more sewing scraps, to make a bedside caddy! I did mine Leopard Print of course! The minute I finished mine, the kids each wanted one, guess I'll be sewing a while!
     Here are the step by step instructions to make one, which you can adjust according to your needs:

1. Cut one piece of lining of your choice 11"x 27".
2. Cut the front piece 11" x 11".
3. For front pocket, cut a piece 6 1/2" x 11".  You can embellish it or layer fabric to create a more interesting design at this point!





4. Measure the size of items to be put in pocket and then mark where you want to place the divider stitches. Place the pocket on top of the 11" x 11" piece matching edges at the bottom.  Stitch the pocket to the piece by sewing in the seamlines where you want the sized  dividers.
I spaced them for an Iphone, reading glasses, and the remote.

5. Now sew the lining to the top raw edge of the caddy, then fold the whole piece in half, right sides together. Pin at sides and sew all around, LEAVING a 1 1/2" space open on one side of the lining, so that you may turn it right side OUT once sewed. Press at sides to smooth the edges and then hand sew the 1 1/2" opening closed. You can top stitch all the way around if you desire. You might want to use some double stick velcro on bed and the caddy so the caddy doesn't fall out when you make the bed. Remember to use scraps of fabrics and old clothes wisely! The lining I used here was the lining of some old curtains!








Will have to share the pillow cases I've been making too!


No comments:

Post a Comment