The Diva of DIY

Sunday, February 12, 2012

That cute little knot dress!




Once I see something I like a lot, I get so determined to figure it out and then remake it with my own take! Such is the case with the knot dress! Because I try to use this blog to promote frugal, yet tasteful living, I of course set  out to make these little dresses as affordable as possible! So the little black, white and red dress is made completely from scraps and old clothing! I love that you can mix and match colors and patterns, which allows for even more frugalness! 
My intention was to include a PDF with the pattern you could print, but haven't figure that out yet! 
So bare with me as I try to describe the dimensions of the size of each bodice!


size 6 months -1 year bodice: top measurement across the bib is 6", then down at a slant 3 1/2", then side down 2 1/4", across bottom 10 1/2" (use 5/8 seams for size 6 months and 4/8 seams for size 1)

size 2-3: bodice: top measurement across bib is 8", then down at a slant 3 3/4", then side down 2 1/2", across bottom 13" (use 5/8 seam for size 2 and 4/8 seam for size 3) 
For size 6 months-1: 
1. Cut bodice, 2 of  lining and 2 (your choice of fabric) for dress
2. Cut straps: 2- 3"x 12" pieces of contrasting fabric
3. For bottom: cut 1- 4 3/4" strip of fabric for bottom band, use whole width of fabric (45")
4. For dress: Cut 3- 9x15 1/2" pieces of contrasting fabrics for skirt section of dress.


For size 2-3:
1. Cut bodice, 2 linings and 2 of fabric.
2. Cut straps: 2- 3"x15" pieces of contrasting fabric.
3. For bottom: cut 1-8 1/4 " strip 8 1/4"x 62"...you will have to piece it, since it is longer than the width of the fabric.
4. For dress: cut 4- 15 1/2" x 11 1/2 " contrasting fabrics fro skirt section of dress.
* I make my patterns out of old newspaper inserts, after I do my couponing;)

1. To make straps fold fabric in half right sides together and sew across top and along raw edge side, (I use a serger stitch which is about 1/4"), clip at a slant at the top corner seam and turn right side out, using a butter knife to make inside corners even. Press, then topstitch close to the edge.


2. If you plan to embellish front bodice, do it BEFORE you sew the lining to it. Sew bodice of dress together at side seams and then sew bodice lining together at side seams. Then pin bodice and lining, right sides together inserting straps between the two, to back bodice. Then stitch together along edge leaving bottom open. Trim and clip seams, making v's in underarm area. Turn right side out, press and then topstitch close to the edge, leaving bottom open.


3. Sew the panels for dress together. (3 for size 6mos.-1 and 4 for size 2-3). Do not sew in complete cirlce until the band on bottom is attached.


4. For larger sizes, piece the band to make as wide as the dress piece, then fold it in half wrong sides together, then sew to the bottom of the panels. I use my serger here too! 
5. Now you can sew the last seam together and then baste- stitch 2 side by side seams across top to use for gathering to fit inside bodice.




6. Gather top of dress evenly by pulling the 2 threads and gathering as you pull then sew to bottom of bodice, right sides together, making sure gathers are evenly adjusted. You can serge this seam once it is sewn together.


7 Mark buttonholes at top of bib, make button holes large enough for strap to pass through, then tie knot and adjust straps to fit your little angel!
Front

Back

more fabric scraps!!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Gonna make it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this pattern and instructions. I made my first one today for a birthday present for my sweet nieces 1st bday :). it did take me about 3 hours only because I was making sure not to mess up with anything. Thank you thank you thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! You explained it well. The pattern pictures helped. And yes pay attention to the v under the arm,,,it is important for a comfortable seam :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, is the seam allowance included, or do you have to add that prior to cutting? Thank you for your pattern.

    ReplyDelete